Sunday, October 25, 2009

CHATS with the band (installment 1)


In this, the first installment of CHATS with the band, I catch up with Shannon Kelly (drummer/fisherman). From Biker gigs in Western Sydney to playing in front of 25,000 people at WYD 09, Shan shares thoughts from his time playing music with me and fellow band members.


Mike
Shan, you've been playing kit (drums)for me for the last...how long exactly? 5 years?

Shannon
yeh that sounds about right I think

Mike
i guess 'shelter and the sea' was the first recording you played on, right?

Shannon
yeh the live recording was a blast, nice way to get chucked in the deep in with recording..... we're live and no mistakes!

Mike
yeh that's how we learn best sometimes...

Shannon
true

Mike
so do you remember the first gig we played?

Shannon
ha, I do... it was the walk for cancer gig up in Newcastle where we would have an audience....... if they were walking past us at the time......( I also just met my wife so I was trying hard to impress her)

Mike
and you did...yeh i remember that one! One of the many strange gigs we've done. What would be the 'strangest' gig you've done for me?

Shannon
way too many to choose, I think the first one was a good way to start..... and I'm sure there is plenty others... that interesting gig where we mixed up the suburb in sydney, ended up in the east, should of been in the west..... got there late, and played to an angry bunch of bikies

Mike
now that was fun! i remember i got you guys to wait in the car while i tried to sort out the money after that one...i think i got you to keep the car running...just in case.

Shannon
yep you sure did..... like a protective mother bear you were

Mike
shan, i'm listening back to 'calm wind' and i'm noticing how the rhythm section shows such a great deal of 'restraint' but it's still solid. Did you approach the sessions with a 'plan in mind'?

Shannon
Percussive and creative was the plan, and the rest just kinda happened on the day. It may of been the 14 coffees a day, but that was a pretty memorable few days.... the band just seemed to gell

Mike
i agree. I'd thrown you in the deep end again...recording live!

Shannon
yeh, learnt so much though

Mike
we rehearsed quite a bit for that recording, right?

Shannon
yeh i think we did a few but its funny how things changed in the studio

Mike
did you enjoy the lead up to the recording? was your playing evolving around that time?


Shannon
the process of practicing for, and doing my first main recording was pretty special, a very new experience.__And my playing definitely changed, I had to learn a greater level of sensitivity to get the sound that you were after..... and to be honest, that recording changed me as a drummer, and formed my style of how I approach drumming and music today

Mike
i feel like i learnt to 'simplify' on that recording, my approach was became a 'less is more' i think...

Shannon
alot more listening would be the best way to sum it up, more creativity aswell

Mike
that's key hey!
On the DVD you and Tim have a deep discussion about 'double dipping' has there been a resolution to the debate?

Shannon
no, and I think it will always be a sour point, ha! I know I'm right, thats the main thing

Mike

What has been the 'highlight gig' with mike mccarthy?

Shannon
now thats an easy question..... World Youth Day in Sydney for sure, playing to alot........ ALOT of people. And just the whole lead up to playing, it was by far the best, although there has been some close seconds with many small, intimate gigs, where we played great and everything just seemed to work

Mike

yeh that was a lot of fun. the lead up especially

What are you presently working on in the musical arena?

Shannon
still the usual teaching, and the odd gig with soultraders ( which is really the Mike McCarthy band re adjusted)

Mike

Well it's been a pleasure chatting Shan. We have a gig on the 27th Dec at Lizottes, Kincumber i should let you know of hahaha..looking forward to playing some more music with you mate!

hopefully you're about?

Shannon
oh great!I was looking forward to a gig with you!! See ya there and good chatting to you too mate

No comments:

Post a Comment